[Qgis-developer] backporting and development branch

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:38:27 EST 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 09:30:13 +0100
Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I think we should avoid like hell the error other sw dev teams have
> done, i.e. having two parallel, partly working versions.

Hello all,

http://semver.org/ is a source of inspiration (especially the FAQ
section).

"""
Why Use Semantic Versioning?

This is not a new or revolutionary idea. In fact, you probably do
something close to this already. The problem is that "close" isn't good
enough. Without compliance to some sort of formal specification,
version numbers are essentially useless for dependency management.
"""

> IMHO we should:
> - backport regularly any bugfix and relevant new features (e.g. the
> browser) that do not rely on API breakage, and release minor versions
> very often
> - keep the plugins (at least the most important and widely used)
> working both on the stable and on the development branches, so that
> power users will continue (as they are doing today) to use and test
> the development version. Of course I realize this will involve some
> extra effort, therefore I'm ready to help. All the best.

About plugins, my suggestion is to ensure that all major plugins are
updated to new API version *before* the release. Otherwise we would
release a major version that misses random functionality...

best,
Anne
--
http://gis.cri.fmach.it/ghisla/