[Qgis-developer] github vs hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Dec 16 13:56:53 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 09:48:17AM +0100, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> I think it is really helpfull to see what other people are adding/doing
> with a plugin. And it hopefully also minimizes the private
> branching/forking of plugins.

I think it is helpful to see what others are doing when they tell you
what they are doing is ready for you. Or it'd be just noise.

> ps as a temporary solution I think to fork (is forking actually adding a
> new remote?) my repo's to github too...

Forking is branching.
Remotes are just a way to publish your branches in a place where
others can look at, so they can do:

 $ git log richard/hisThing..HEAD
 $ git log tim/master..HEAD
 $ git log jef/topo..HEAD

and see what's being done by whom.
(syntax is likely wrong, but you get the idea)

--strk;