[Qgis-developer] github vs hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Dec 19 03:42:34 EST 2011

On 2011-12-16 09:48, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> doing some plugins, and working both with plugins from
> hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository (my own) and plugins living at
> github (wktplugin from Allesandro), it appears to me that github seems
> to work more transparant for me...

ok, clear.

So my conclusion for a 'how to publish my plugin'-guideline:

1) share your plugin at Qgis plugin repo
	http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/

2) register your plugin at
	http://hub.qgis.org/projects/qgis-user-plugins,
to show plugin info, add issues/tickets and to have just ONE repository
for all qgis plugins.

3) depending on your plugin/ideas/capabilities, either
-A- put ALL code in the zip uploaded to Qgis plugin repo
or
-B- put code in git repo at hub
or/and
-C- put code in github (because it just has more features at this moment)

- I will update the 'Writing_Python_Plugins' [0] with this.
- Maybe also move the code snippets from that page to the plugins
snippets pages [1] and point to there.
- Also link to Tim's pydev debugging blog [2] in the wiki.
- 'Deprecate' the 'Python_Plugin_Repositories' page [3]
- make note of new metadata format... Allesandro you showed me some page
once...?

Ok?

Richard

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Writing_Python_Plugins