[Qgis-developer] github vs hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 04:02:11 EST 2011

2011/12/19 Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>:
> On 2011-12-16 09:48, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>> doing some plugins, and working both with plugins from
>> hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository (my own) and plugins living at
>> github (wktplugin from Allesandro), it appears to me that github seems
>> to work more transparant for me...
>
> ok, clear.
>
> So my conclusion for a 'how to publish my plugin'-guideline:
>
> 1) share your plugin at Qgis plugin repo
>        http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/
>
> 2) register your plugin at
>        http://hub.qgis.org/projects/qgis-user-plugins,
> to show plugin info, add issues/tickets and to have just ONE repository
> for all qgis plugins.
>
> 3) depending on your plugin/ideas/capabilities, either
> -A- put ALL code in the zip uploaded to Qgis plugin repo
> or
> -B- put code in git repo at hub
> or/and
> -C- put code in github (because it just has more features at this moment)
>

> - I will update the 'Writing_Python_Plugins' [0] with this.
> - Maybe also move the code snippets from that page to the plugins
> snippets pages [1] and point to there.
> - Also link to Tim's pydev debugging blog [2] in the wiki.
> - 'Deprecate' the 'Python_Plugin_Repositories' page [3]
> - make note of new metadata format... Allesandro you showed me some page
> once...?

Yes, this one:

https://github.com/qgis/qgis-django/blob/master/qgis-app/plugins/docs/introduction.rst

I would suggest that you complete/integrate/update the (static) pages
on the new plugin site (you now have staff account at
http://plugins.qgis.org/admin/ ) with instructions for plugin users
and plugin authors.

Once there is a page with instructions about metadata, I could change
messages when user uploads a plugin pointing to metadata instructions.

Metadata example:

https://github.com/qgis/qgis-django/blob/master/qgis-app/plugins/tests/HelloWorld/1.3-full-md-no-init/HelloWorld/metadata.txt

There is still one point missing: the new "category" metadata. I'm
wating for a final decision about this new metadata and then it can be
added to the new repo.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it