[Qgis-developer] Plugin reorganization (again)

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Dec 21 04:28:46 EST 2011

On 2011-12-21 10:10, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> 2011/12/21 Alexander Bruy <alexander.bruy at gmail.com>:
>> Hi Alessandro
>>
>> 2011/12/21 Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>:
>>> I'm not sure I got it right, does this metadata also apply to python plugins ?
>> Yes, this metadata applied to all plugins: Python and C++
>>
>>> A few questions arise in this case:
>>>
>>> 1 - are there any plan for making any use of the plugin "tags"
>>> metadata as was planned in Lisbon ?
>> Unfortunately I miss Lisbon meeting and can't find any page with
>> results of this discussion. I think we anyway should review QGIS
>> plugin system and make it more user friendly and improve it's
>> usability.
>
> Alexander,
>

> I'm not against hierarchy-based (category) classification in
> principle, but I'm reluctant to throw away a considerable amount of
> work already done in the web application to support tags and implement
> a brand new classification system for plugins (which will require
> another fair good amount of work).

Agreed, but are tags and categories not two different beasts.?

Tags are just usefull searchable free terms which can be used for mental
grouping of plugins (eg I specially tagged the xytools with 'excel'
because one user said that this off course was not very obvious from the
name).

Categories are a very small fixed(!) set of (not yet hierarchical)
terms, to be used to place the plugin in a menu item.

If it seems not wise to implement both, maybe a solution is to make
current categories used a sort of 'reserved tags', which will indeed be
used for menus (and searching in plugin dialog)?

I think Alexanders plan to make it possible to 'place' your plugin in a
certain menu is great, and having tags to be used for a filter/search is
also good.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde