[Qgis-developer] Plugin reorganization (again)

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 05:01:50 EST 2011

2011/12/21 Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>:
> Can you please provide a list of the "permitted" values ?
Here is it: Vector, Raster, Database, Web, Plugins, Layers.
Maybe in future we will have other values of drop them all in favor
of searchable tree.

> What do you think we should do when a user uploads a plugin with an
> invalid category (ignore, warn, abort) ?
I think we should issue warning and suggest to fix category

> Talking about the new plugin web application, I'm a bit confused about
> what to do at this point: adding a "category" text field and keeping
> tags is the easiest solution (with potential problems with typos in
> the category and no validation possible) , but other options are
> possible:
>
> * throw away tags
> * implement a MPTT tree-like category structure, in this case an
> invalid category will abort the plugin upload
> * implement the category as a FK relation from the plugin table and
> use a flat list for categories
>
> in any case, the category should become the main navigation system for
> plugins in the web app and this is also not trivial.

Here I agree with Richard

2011/12/21 Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>:
> Agreed, but are tags and categories not two different beasts.?
>
> Tags are just usefull searchable free terms which can be used for mental
> grouping of plugins (eg I specially tagged the xytools with 'excel'
> because one user said that this off course was not very obvious from the
> name).
>
> Categories are a very small fixed(!) set of (not yet hierarchical)
> terms, to be used to place the plugin in a menu item.

I also think tags and categories two different lists. Tags are used for
search and categories for placing in right location.

--
Alexander Bruy