[Qgis-developer] Plugin reorganization (again)

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 05:11:07 EST 2011

2011/12/21 Alexander Bruy <alexander.bruy at gmail.com>:
> 2011/12/21 Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>:
>> Can you please provide a list of the "permitted" values ?
> Here is it: Vector, Raster, Database, Web, Plugins, Layers.
> Maybe in future we will have other values of drop them all in favor
> of searchable tree.
>
>> What do you think we should do when a user uploads a plugin with an
>> invalid category (ignore, warn, abort) ?
> I think we should issue warning and suggest to fix category
>
>> Talking about the new plugin web application, I'm a bit confused about
>> what to do at this point: adding a "category" text field and keeping
>> tags is the easiest solution (with potential problems with typos in
>> the category and no validation possible) , but other options are
>> possible:
>>
>> * throw away tags
>> * implement a MPTT tree-like category structure, in this case an
>> invalid category will abort the plugin upload
>> * implement the category as a FK relation from the plugin table and
>> use a flat list for categories
>>
>> in any case, the category should become the main navigation system for
>> plugins in the web app and this is also not trivial.
>
> Here I agree with Richard
>
> 2011/12/21 Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>:
>> Agreed, but are tags and categories not two different beasts.?
>>
>> Tags are just usefull searchable free terms which can be used for mental
>> grouping of plugins (eg I specially tagged the xytools with 'excel'
>> because one user said that this off course was not very obvious from the
>> name).
>>
>> Categories are a very small fixed(!) set of (not yet hierarchical)
>> terms, to be used to place the plugin in a menu item.
>
> I also think tags and categories two different lists. Tags are used for
> search and categories for placing in right location.
>
>> I think Alexanders plan to make it possible to 'place' your plugin in a
>> certain menu is great, and having tags to be used for a filter/search is
>> also good.
>

> --
> Alexander Bruy

Ok, so we need a list of valid category values.

Additionally, there must be a place where the specifications for the
plugin metadata structure is maintained. AFAIK the most up-to-date
source of information is the page on github
https://github.com/qgis/qgis-django/blob/master/qgis-app/plugins/docs/introduction.rst

Are there any other places ?
Can we keep the informations there or move them to a better place  ?

* gihub docs
* the wiki
* the new plugin web app (on a static page)

Also: the list of valid category values must be added to the specs and
a pointer must be provided when the user uploads a plugin with the
wrong/empty category metadata.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it