[Qgis-developer] Mac package confusion

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Feb 3 02:21:16 EST 2011

So I sent someone to go download and install the Mac Standalone of QGIS
1.6, only to find out that there isn't a standalone installer anymore.
I'm sure there are reasons, and that's fine, but... I think we missed
the ball on making sure that it's easy for a new user to get started.

Looking at the page http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/qgis
I'm guessing that only way to install QGIS now is to grab the Mac disk,
install Frameworks, then grab the GDAL and GSL frameworks packages and
finally the QGIS package? It's implied but it doesn't say it anywhere
obvious.

If this is true any chance we could update the instructions to give the
step by step for a new user who has no idea what Frameworks are. Also
could we point the GDAL and GSL links to the files themselves as opposed
to the frameworks page, so that the install doesn't turn into a hunt for
the right stuff to download?

FYI to translators, I've re-ordered the Mac download links on the qgis
wiki to reflect that the standalone is no longer the "recommended for
new users".

Thanks,
Alex