[Qgis-developer] Qgis usability tests

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Feb 12 05:16:24 EST 2011

Hi,

One issue, if you are testing with users familiar with other GIS, is
that they are biased towards a specific product. If you test with a
ArcGIS or MapInfo user they will regard anything that behaves different
as inferior or difficult.

For this reason it would be interesting to have study with users who are
completely new to a GIS and haven't used a different product before. Did
you consider to do a study with people unfamiliar with GIS? Just because
ArcGIS or Mapinfo does something one way, it doesn't mean that we need
to copy this behavior (like gvSIG does it with ArcView 3). It is similar
with terms. Just because ArcGIS defines something, it does not mean it
is the best, generally understandable and expected term.

Nevertheless your study is very interesting - thank you for conducting
it and sharing it. It shows that there is still a lot do regarding
usability and it provides some concrete hints where we could improve.

The Georectification task is something where I also experienced with my
users that they weren't able to do complete everything without my help.
This particular task, while technically solved and functionality wise
complete, would need some additional help and guiding, especially for
new users.

I will have to study your report in more detail to draw more
conclusions. Thank you very much for your contribution!

Andreas