[Qgis-developer] icons and styles

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 22 04:00:30 EST 2011

On 02/22/2011 12:50 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> I think we should provide an opportunity for uploading sets of icons and
> styles, on the same infrastructure that we are going to use for plugins.
> I'd appreciate comments on this.
> All the best.

It's already on the to do list for the django web app. I'm working with
the OSGeo Graphics mailing list to try and coordinate efforts on this
since they've been thinking about the idea and have an svn folder for it.

In particular I've already started on some tools to automate keeping
collections of icons in single svg files and using inkscape to split
them into individual files for application use, while preserving
metadata about the icons in the svg files themselves. My plan at this
point is to then use a Django app to catalog the keywords tags from a
specific field in the svg xml into a searchable database and then
replicate this functionality locally as a plugin (possibly future core
item in symbology). Note, as far as I know this will only work for point
symbology right now, I do not have a plan for lines or polygon fills yet
but that's because they aren't svg based at this time.

The whole thing is still in the very early stages so I welcome
conversation on the topic and invite others to join OSGeo graphics to
really find a multi-app solution for the FOSS GIS community. It will
probably be a few months before we get anything up on the website, since
there are much higher priorities for the plugin site that still need to
be done.

Thanks,
Alex