[Qgis-developer] icons and styles

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Feb 22 05:03:46 EST 2011

 Hi Alex,

 You can use SVG files for polygon fills/patterns. But I suggest that
 those pattern definitions should be treated/organized separately from
 point symbols. In some cases point symbols may work as patterns or the
 other way round, but in general they are separate.

 SVG for line definitions: I only see it useful for marker lines. In the
 new symbology you can use SVG as markers in a marker line - at a regular
 interval or only at start/end or at the vertices.

 Thank you for your initiative.

 Andreas

 On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 01:00:30 -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 12:50 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> I think we should provide an opportunity for uploading sets of icons
>> and
>> styles, on the same infrastructure that we are going to use for
>> plugins.
>> I'd appreciate comments on this.
>> All the best.
>
> It's already on the to do list for the django web app. I'm working
> with
> the OSGeo Graphics mailing list to try and coordinate efforts on this
> since they've been thinking about the idea and have an svn folder for
> it.
>
> In particular I've already started on some tools to automate keeping
> collections of icons in single svg files and using inkscape to split
> them into individual files for application use, while preserving
> metadata about the icons in the svg files themselves. My plan at this
> point is to then use a Django app to catalog the keywords tags from a
> specific field in the svg xml into a searchable database and then
> replicate this functionality locally as a plugin (possibly future
> core
> item in symbology). Note, as far as I know this will only work for
> point
> symbology right now, I do not have a plan for lines or polygon fills
> yet
> but that's because they aren't svg based at this time.
>
> The whole thing is still in the very early stages so I welcome
> conversation on the topic and invite others to join OSGeo graphics to
> really find a multi-app solution for the FOSS GIS community. It will
> probably be a few months before we get anything up on the website,
> since
> there are much higher priorities for the plugin site that still need
> be done.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

 Andreas Neumann