[Qgis-developer] icons and styles / deciding which new icons are needed

mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Tue Feb 22 08:13:41 EST 2011

Hi,
I have a question (and I suggest a draft answer) related to icon sets for large datasets: how do you decide what are the most needed icons? For instance with OSM data, it is not possible to read with human eyes the whole world map at the scale 1:5000 nor to read all the wiki pages (and some tags do not have wiki page yet), then decide what is urgently missing.

When facing this question a few months ago, I created an R script [R is one of the most advanced GNU/GPL statistical software]. The R script computes some basic statistics on features missing a symbology. You give it:
- a qml QGIS style (rule-based renderer)
- a link to some OSM data
It gives you: the most frequent features without symbology, telling you by how much your coverage will be improved if you render those features. It is more advanced than websites with OSM statistics that are tag based, since here it's rule based (and a rule can use many tags).
Is anyone interested in having this R script? (Without R installed and a *very* basic knowledge of R, this is useless of course).
Mayeul