[Qgis-developer] icons and styles

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Feb 22 16:47:34 EST 2011

Hi

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Robert Szczepanek
<robert at szczepanek.pl> wrote:
> W dniu 22.02.2011 10:00, Alex Mandel pisze:
>>
>> On 02/22/2011 12:50 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all.
>>> I think we should provide an opportunity for uploading sets of icons and
>>> styles, on the same infrastructure that we are going to use for plugins.
>>> I'd appreciate comments on this.
>>> All the best.
>>

> Hi Alex,
>
>> My plan at this
>> point is to then use a Django app to catalog the keywords tags from a
>> specific field in the svg xml into a searchable database and then
>> replicate this functionality locally as a plugin (possibly future core
>> item in symbology).
>
> As we discussed before I agree with your idea. This seems to be well
> scalable and interoperable solution.
> I'm also very interested in such infrastructure, so you can rely on me
> building both applications.
>
>> The whole thing is still in the very early stages so I welcome
>> conversation on the topic and invite others to join OSGeo graphics to
>> really find a multi-app solution for the FOSS GIS community. It will
>> probably be a few months before we get anything up on the website, since
>> there are much higher priorities for the plugin site that still need to
>> be done.
>
> I will start working with new map icons set in May-June. But there are many
> issues to discuss in the meantime on OSGeo graphics concerning your concept.
>
> regards,
> Robert

As Alex mentioned, its already on the roadmap - probably its just a
case of tweaking and configuring some existing django app out there.
There are also usefull looking apps like this:

http://code.google.com/p/django-photologue/

So before anyone writes code, take a google around and see if there is
something off-the-shelf we can just repurpose.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services