[Qgis-developer] Plugins re-organization

Giuseppe Sucameli sucameli at faunalia.it
Thu Feb 24 08:02:21 EST 2011

Hi all,
I think that organizing better plugins in menus it's the way to go waiting
for the new toolbox.

At the last Hackfest in Polland we went along this way creating the Database
menu as it
reduced the number of plugins in the Plugin menu and it have made easier to
find a plugin.

In this moment mostly of the plugins have only one action button, but the
current
implementation create for each plugin a submenu.
So, why do not think about a better plugins organization?

I think about few shallow changes.
For example, we could re-organize plugins in Database menu just creating
some main
sub-classes named as the databases' spatial extensions: "PostGIS",
"SpatiaLite",
"Oracle Spatial", ...
Obviously there are some plugins which are out because either
general-purpose or manage
more database's type.

The same for the Plugins menu, creating for example "Editing", "Loading",
We discussed something like this yet, I remember, but I'm unable to find the

Furthermore, this plugins re-organization could be useful also for the new
toolbox.
Ideas, thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

Regards.

--
Giuseppe Sucameli