[Qgis-developer] Unknown CRS problem

Nick Hopton nhopton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:47:52 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il> wrote:

> I guess you're aware of the choices in Settings->Options->CRS for handling
> layers with unknown CRS, and these don't fully cover the issue?

I don't think that they do. Which ever option is selected there are
problems. If the user doesn't know the CRS for the layer or if QGIS
can't determine the CRS for the layer the result is confusion either
way. To be honest, this isn't a problem for me because I know just
enough about CRSs (and the need never to trust them without checking)
to get me through.

The trouble is that newcomers to QGIS get confused when things don't
work as they expect and it's very easy for them to mutter something
like "typical open-source" and walk away from it. They can't
understand why, when they right-click on a layer and go Properties ->
General, QGIS might tell them something that is downright wrong about
the layer CRS.

But I do understand that fixing the problem is probably easier said
than done, of course.

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton, Caversham, Reading, England.