[Qgis-developer] Unknown CRS problem

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:14:24 EST 2011

Hi Nick

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Nick Hopton <nhopton at gmail.com> wrote:
> When a layer is loaded and QGIS can't determine its CRS it would be
> preferred if the CRS of that layer was shown as 'unknown', rather than
> shown as being the default CRS. I know that this causes problems for
> some newcomers to QGIS.
>
> I gather that this question was raised during the Hackfest in Vienna
> and I wonder whether or not it is being followed-up?

(I barely remember any discussion on this topic.)

I agree with you that CRS handling should be improved. Having
'unknown' CRS is more useful than assigning a bogus CRS and then
trying to project it to some other CRS. I think we should remove
on-the-fly projections option and _always_ do the reprojection of
layers (many times this will be just a no-op). Only layers with
unknown CRS wouldn't be projected. One problem here is that we haven't
implemented raster reprojection yet.

Regards
Martin