[Qgis-developer] Re: Raster providers

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Thu Jan 13 03:04:33 EST 2011

Hi Radim

> Hi Marco,
> the code is quite ugly at moment, I still keep old pieces of code
> commented.

That's fine. Like that, I won't get completely lost in the code :-)

> Regarding the reprojection, I would like to implement the approximate
> reprojection (similar to mapserver you showed me) in
> QgsRasterDataProvider::readBlock and overwrite it only in WMS
> provider. GDAL warp is too slow (as expected) and no way to speed it
> up AFAIK.

The approximate reprojection would be cool. Wouldn't it be better to implement
it on rasterlayer level instead instead of QgsRasterDataProvider::readBlock?
Like that, all providers would have reprojection capabilities (e.g. GRASS
too).

With one of my favorite test dataset, I noted a problem with automatic
assignment of nodata value and automatic insertion into the transparency list.
In that case, the raster is a colortable map (byte) and has no nodata value.
So 255 is set to transparent and the map appears completely different than
expected...

Is it correct that the draw() method which returns QImage is not necessary
anymore (or only for API compatibility for now)? Seems it can be handled quite
nicely with QImage::bits().
In the future, it would be nice to have also support for create() and write()
operations in the provider interface (and the gdal provider). Then I could
port rastercalculator & terrain analysis to use the provider interface.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland