[Qgis-developer] A roadmap to QGIS 2.0

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 03:50:59 EST 2011

Hi!

> I think its time to start thinking about getting 2.0 'out'. What do
> others think? The major goal would be to

Think about 2.0 is a very good idea

> - clean up the api and remove cruft / inelegant parts / backwards
> compatibility wrappers
+1 here (i think with 2.0 we don't need backwards compatibility)

> - do an overhaul of the api docs and get it to a good state (doxygen wise)
+1

> - get rid of old labelling completely
+1 as long es new labelling has the same (and more) functions and speed
than old labelling

> - get rid of old symbology completely
+1 the same here the same level of speed and functionality (and more)
than the old one

> - merge many of the plugins directly into trunk (north arrow, gps,
> coordinate capture, delimited text, georeferencer, some form of raster
> colours / 1 band raster colour table etc.)
+1 very good idea .. I'd like to see more and more plugins getting into
core (but that also reminds me on the idea of creating an "my own
toolbox" menu where i can put just the functions (plugins) i need and
not everything somewhere under "plugins". Someone on the mailinglist
also wrote something about the idea of consolidating all the menus which
are dealing with database connections. So a menu and GUI-overhaul would
be also a good idea

> - capitalise on the bug fixing work of SunilRaj from kCube so that his
> time is going into stabilising for a 2.0 release
+1 (big) bugfixing on some issues is always a good idea

What i'd like to see also in 2.0 is the threading and globe thing as I
am still in the need of a 3D workflow and have to take a look at my data
and hoped to see a start in 2.0.
And there are a few other suggestions that would (from my point of view)
easen the use of qgis .. but thats another discussion somewhere else ..

I like the roadmap .. And I'm curios on 2.0 ;)

regards
Werner