[Qgis-developer] A roadmap to QGIS 2.0

John Donovan mersey.viking at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 07:55:52 EST 2011

On 18 January 2011 08:50, Werner Macho <werner.macho at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - merge many of the plugins directly into trunk (north arrow, gps,
>> coordinate capture, delimited text, georeferencer, some form of raster
>> colours / 1 band raster colour table etc.)
>
> +1 very good idea .. I'd like to see more and more plugins getting into core
> (but that also reminds me on the idea of creating an "my own toolbox" menu
> where i can put just the functions (plugins) i need and not everything
> somewhere under "plugins". Someone on the mailinglist also wrote something
> about the idea of consolidating all the menus which are dealing with
> database connections. So a menu and GUI-overhaul would be also a good idea

I like the idea of having toolsets as a way of decluttering the GUI by
having a toolbox and/or menu of commonly used functions easily
accessible, and the less-commonly used functions moved out of plain
sight. QGIS could come with some pre-defined toolsets, and the user
also has the ability to create their own. Sort of like the
"perspectives" you get in Eclipse or Qt Creator, and also ties in with
the multi-view work that has been done. Indeed, this could possibly be
extended to making the composer a first-class citizen of the GUI
rather than a separate window.
This will help alleviate the problem with a certain SSS (superficially
similar software) that has a vast tree of functions and plugins that
are placed based on the whims of the developer and not the user, thus
justifying the huge training costs to use it... (rant over :)

-JD