[Qgis-developer] A roadmap to QGIS 2.0

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:01:54 EST 2011

> Werner wrote:
>> On the other hand - I can already hear the rants "plugin xxx is not
>> working in my qgis" when the plugin is meant to run in a higher
>> version .. but thats one of the things we would have to deal with ..

>Anita  wrote:
> Forum and user mailing list will be flooded with such posts. We'd need a
> really good plugin installer mechanism that informs users about which
> versions are required for a plugin. Of course plugin devs also have to be
> aware of possible problems.

I think the plugins should have:

1. ReadMe file
  - for instruction for needed packages to be installed to make it run
and where to get it (URL) if needed
  - Minimum QGIS version for the plugin run
  - possible problem
  - python version needed to run
  - mailing list (e.g. QGIS- developer) to post the problem and bugs.
  - how to uninstall / delete the plugin

2. Changelog file
   - for bug fixes and changes for every update
   - credit for patches and testers and ranters

3. HTML file
   - description / induction of the plugin
   - for the help
   - and it should link in the "HELP" Button in the plugin

4. HELP Button for the above reason

6. Email address of the developer
   - for contact and rant directly to the developer.

5. About Form for the plugin with Help Button and email address of the
developer.

I think plugin problems and bugs should be posted in the
QGIS-developer and CC: the developer.

The plugin problem should be posted with "Plugin" as as first part of
the title topic in posting.

e.g.
        Re: Plugin: PostGIS query not working in Windows 7

These suggestions apply to QGIS 1.x and QGIS 2.0.

Thanks.

Noli