[Qgis-developer] dxf read

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jan 26 04:34:04 EST 2011

 Hi,

 I agree with Marco and Jürgen. We should still keep the plugin. OGR is
 getting a lot better for reading dxf, but QGIS is not ready to digest
 it. And the dxf2shp plugins can split it up to the different geometry
 types. QGIS, on the other hand just randomly picks the first geometry
 type it hits, other types are not accessible with the current QGIS OGR
 file loader.

 As Marco said, QGIS needs to be improved to properly handle dxf reading
 through OGR, because OGR presents mixed geometries from a single source.
 Also, QGIS needs to be able to properly handle OGR styling, OGR
 labeling, block handling, etc.

 My employer invested a couple thousand bucks on improving dxf reading
 and writing in OGR, but now someone needs to come up with funding of the
 QGIS part of the dxt reading/writing. The low level infrastructure in
 OGR should more or less exist now.

 Andreas

 On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:13:25 +0100, Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi Paolo, Werner
>
> Additionally to the version consideration, I'd suggest to keep the
> plugin in
> the source until we have sound feedback from a few dxf powerusers.
>
> Because matching dxf to GIS is difficult (multilayers, labels,
> different feature
> types can be in one layer). So accessing dxf via OGR in QGIS might
> not be as
> trivial as it seems. E.g. in QGIS we expect all the features in one
> layer to
> be of the same shape type.
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>
> Am Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011, um 20.14:16 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:
>> Hi all.
>> I checked today, and I saw that reading DXF through gdal 1.7 works
>> reasonably well. Wouldn't it be better then to drop the dxf2shape
>> plugin, who has no maintainer and a few bugs?
>> All the best.

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)