[Qgis-developer] pgversion and QGIS Plugin / emaj (history versioning)

mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Wed Jul 6 12:19:05 EDT 2011

Hi,
Followup to recent discussion on pgversion plugin:
For versioning (in the sense of history), there is emaj for postgresql:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/emaj/
The manual is well written. Version 0.9 works very well even with postgis data and provides full versioning and rollback (including with tied tables). The only issue is that the id type is not supported by qgis; an easy workaround for a reasonable number of changes is to use a view like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW emaj.test_points_log_view AS (SELECT emaj_id::int4 as id_int4, * from emaj.public_test_points_log);

>From a philosophical point of view, conflict resolution and history versioning share some ideas: you want to know what the other do.
>From a functionality point of view, there are some related features: you can stop a commit (pgversion) or roll it back (emaj).

As a side note, wikipedia defines versioning in the historical sense (I never encountered the other one), see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Would be great somehow to somehow merge the two or make them compatible (I have'nt tried), or share some common tables. It also remind me, I believe, a plugin with a slider for versioned data with time-stamp but I cannot find it (was I dreaming?).
Thanks and all the best
Mayeul