[Qgis-developer] SDA4PP Kernel density troubleshooting

DartVader compp at seznam.cz
Tue Jul 26 07:12:14 EDT 2011

Hi,
I use qgis for my thesis at school. The thesis is about a castor fiber and
its presence in some area. My advisor use ArcGIS and, I suppose, a plugin
called Kernel density estimation, which helps analyze the data we have. You
might say, why don't I get ArcGIS? The answer is simple, I am a student and
don't have enough funds for it and also would like to do it on open source
software.
So I came across SDA4PP plugin to qgis and was pretty excited, though
initial excitement faded out after realising quite complex installation
process. Well, after some time I realised there is also a installer taht
contains all dependancies and qgis 1.4.0.
So there's a first question: can I use the plugin not only with 1.4.0 qgis,
but also in 1.6.0 (my current one) or even in 1.7.0?

The second problem, more important:

I have point data in form of .gpx file (points with coords). When I open it
as a vector layer in qgis (waypoints) and try to run "Kernel density" (part
of plugin) or any other like "Uniform density", "Adaptive density" which I
have no idea whate they do, I get the same result. *The error message:*

An error occured:
Error in ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer, input_field_name_encoding =
input_field_name_encoding) :
  Cannot open layer

Though now when I'm trying to solve the problem I'm not getting the same
errors as yesterday (some coding related stuff), still it's not working.
Yesterday there where also some ANSI problem. So I tried to change it
(Mapsource I use to manage .gpx files doesnt have an option to choose coding
of a text in it (ANSI, Unicode,...), notepad has (but opens .csv not .gpx).
But after opening the same stuff, only .csv in notepad I found it's coded in
ANSI. And qgis doesnt open .csv files.
So although I have no experience in using that plugin (and honestly not much
in any way), I cannot even run the plugin properly.

SDA4PP version 0.196

If anyone has an idea to solve this problem and help me out, I would
appreciate it.