[Qgis-developer] Virtual columns in QGIS, was: Re: [Qgis-user] object labels

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 05:34:52 EDT 2011

+1 from me too.  A virtual column would be a very handy feature however you
must be able to add one to read only datasets eg MI Tab otherwise their is
no real advantage.  The expression labelling I'm working on works with read
only datasets.   I think the expression based labelling and the virtual
column thing could exist together quite well the former being a short cut in
the labeling gui for the latter.

Check out http://hub.qgis.org/issues/3488 and
https://github.com/NathanW2/Quantum-GIS/tree/expression-labels for the
status of my patch.  I have been away for a couple of weeks but I will be
getting back into over the next couple of weeks.

Anyone else got any other thoughts?

- Nathan