[Qgis-developer] release of 1.7

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jun 1 02:34:42 EDT 2011

Il 31/05/2011 16:35, Marco Hugentobler ha scritto:

> I'm in favour of releasing 1.7 now. The release was already planned for March
> and was shifted then. There will always be a large number of bugs in the
> queue, even with donations. Maybe we even discover more of them in a beta
> version :-)

I think we should either remove the "Must Fix for Release" tag, or take it seriously.
I am downgrading some of these tickets.
We all know a bugfree program is something that exists only in the mind of some
marketer, but if we have blocking issues, they have to be blocking.
Another approach would be to release snapshots when we feel we're ready, not
pretending them to be "stable" versions. Many users just take us literally, and for
them a "stable" version with tens of "blocking" issues does not speak well for the
project.

> Seriously, 1.7 feels to me to have a similar stability as 1.6 (or even
> better). I'm concerned shifting the release further and further has a bad
> impact on motivation of users and developers. Wouldn't it be an option to make
> a stable branch (1.7.1, 1.7.2) with the possibility for developers to backport
> bugfixes?

This has been requested and raised a few times, but no developer appear to have time
for this (quite understandably - a boring job).
All the best.