[Qgis-developer] release of 1.7

Duarte Carreira DCarreira at edia.pt
Wed Jun 1 04:51:10 EDT 2011

As an user/adopter/envangelist I agree very much with Markus. And the suggestion from Alex is very to the point. This is not the first time (or last) open source devs face this challenge... I remember why I abandoned gvSIG... too many bugs while pursuing more and more novel features. I could make a 3D view, but couldn't edit a bigger shapefile... and releases were so far apart bugs were almost perennial.

Having too few resources to handle all open bugs/new features must be thought through... the list of bugs with a request for donations is a very good idea IMVHO. Also, having a budget estimation for each one can also encourage people to donate. Also, there was an OSGeo quiz about future efforts/directions, and support to projects was one of those concerns. Maybe there is a model somewhere to support this kind of growing up hardships...

I'm a "corporate user" and it's not easy to authorize an expense (consider also I'm in Portugal). There are mind frames, and cultural difficulties (besides lack of money)... I first need to establish QGIS in the enterprise, and later on propose spending money... not the other way around.

Duarte