[Qgis-developer] Re: dealing with "long" primary keys

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Jun 6 11:24:00 EDT 2011

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, 06. Jun 2011 at 16:21:34 +0200, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> If this patch still works I would vote for applying it to trunk. It is
> sad that one cannot load data with long id integer primary keys. OSM is
> certainly an important enough community or data source to justify the
> application of this patch.

> Or would it require a lot of additional work besides applying and
> reviewing the patch?

That's the question.  IIRC the reason why I didn't apply the patch.  Currently
we don't have a feature id type so everything that is an int might actually be
a feature id - that needs to by changed to 64bit.

And that not only for variables and parameters, but also for signals and slots.
The former case would be picked up by the compiler, but the latter case won't.
So that needs quite an amount of testing.

The patch is likely to not apply cleanly anymore, but even if it did - there
might be new signals that it doesn't apply to yet.

So that probably means we'd apply it, break qgis here and there, test and train
to file redmine issues, git some more experience and end up with a fixed qgis
that has support for 64bit keys.

If that's ok, I'd revisit the issue.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden