[Qgis-developer] Re: dealing with "long" primary keys

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jun 7 02:33:58 EDT 2011

 Hi Jürgen,

 I think it is acceptable to apply this to trunk, even with the risk of
 breaking something major. At some point such bigger changes need to be
 tested. The current trunk is still young and far away from the release
 of version 1.8 or whatever the successor will be called.

 I'd be willing to test.

 +1 from me to try and apply the patch, given that it still works.

 Andreas

 On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:24:00 +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Mon, 06. Jun 2011 at 16:21:34 +0200, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> If this patch still works I would vote for applying it to trunk. It
>> is
>> sad that one cannot load data with long id integer primary keys. OSM
>> is
>> certainly an important enough community or data source to justify
>> the
>> application of this patch.
>
>> Or would it require a lot of additional work besides applying and
>> reviewing the patch?
>
> That's the question.  IIRC the reason why I didn't apply the patch.
> Currently
> we don't have a feature id type so everything that is an int might
> actually be
> a feature id - that needs to by changed to 64bit.
>
> And that not only for variables and parameters, but also for signals
> and slots.
> The former case would be picked up by the compiler, but the latter
> case won't.
> So that needs quite an amount of testing.
>
> The patch is likely to not apply cleanly anymore, but even if it did
> - there
> might be new signals that it doesn't apply to yet.
>
> So that probably means we'd apply it, break qgis here and there, test
> and train
> to file redmine issues, git some more experience and end up with a
> fixed qgis
> that has support for 64bit keys.
>
> If that's ok, I'd revisit the issue.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel.
> +49-4931-918175-20
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax.
> +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer         D-26506 Norden
> http://www.norbit.de

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)