[Qgis-developer] Integrating OSSIM with QGIS

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Jun 9 11:23:05 EDT 2011

Hi

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Mingjie Su <Su.Ming at geoeye.com> wrote:
> All-
>   We are making some good progress on the ossim image provider (qgsossimprovider.cpp). Couple questions:
>
> (1) Is there a way for users to specify which provider to use? It looks like QGIS is hard coded to use the GDAL provider.
>
> (2) Band statistics. QGIS is pretty inefficient when it comes to computing band statistics. Its looping through all the pixels multiple times (once for each band) to populate the viewport. For RGB data for example, its looping through the data 3 times. In OSSIM, we can provide the band statistics for you so you don't have to scan the data. This will speed things up dramatically. BTW, this is true for both the GDAL and OSSIM providers.

This is a known issue. I have a branch where I have been replacing the
stats routines to use native stats from providers. You can clone it
from here:

https://github.com/timlinux/Quantum-GIS/tree/raster-stats

Its still unstable but maybe you can see where I am heading with this.

> (3) Black pixels (0,0,0 RGB) are being flipped to transparent. Is there a way to override this behavior programatically?
>
> (4) In OSSIM we have a concept of image chains and connectable objects. You can wire up all kinds of filters and equations into a workflow to create an output image. The image chain can be represented using an array of key value pairs. Does the provider interface provide a mechanism for passing this type of information?

Currently not, but its an addition that we would love to see. The OTB
folks would appreciate this too.

> (5) Can we post our ossim image provider to your svn for others to play with?

Since we are using GIT now, you can simply fork QGIS, apply your
patches and invite others to test it out. I look forward to doing so
myself.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net