[Qgis-developer] QGIS for Water

Saber Razmjooei razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 03:07:09 EDT 2011

Hi there

I reckon it will be great to have a set of plugins for hydrology and
hydraulic modelling in QGIS.

To develop a new hydraulic engine for QGIS is not an ideal and we will
be re-inventing the wheel. So, the ideal situation is to take an
existing tool and use QGI to pre-process or post-process the
inputs/outputs.

Most of the hydraulic/hydrology model I have come across are for Windows
only, which is not ideal.

The only one which is very powerful and really multi-platform is AnuGA
http://sourceforge.net/projects/anuga/

AnuGA can be used for modelling: coastal, fluvial, surface water and
urban drainage system.

We have developed a plugin for QGIS so that you can prepare your model
GIS files (boundary files, mesh, etc). It is a bit out of date and
requires lots of tweaking.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/anuga-gai/

Will be good find a fund from those who are interested and develop this
further. We have several ideas to improve the plugin further (mesh
editor, result viewer, etc) but extremely busy atm.

Cheers
Saber