[Qgis-developer] QGIS for Water

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Jun 23 12:08:22 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Saber Razmjooei <razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk
> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I reckon it will be great to have a set of plugins for hydrology and
> hydraulic modelling in QGIS.
>

> To develop a new hydraulic engine for QGIS is not an ideal and we will
> be re-inventing the wheel. So, the ideal situation is to take an
> existing tool and use QGI to pre-process or post-process the
> inputs/outputs.
>

> Most of the hydraulic/hydrology model I have come across are for Windows
> only, which is not ideal.
>

> The only one which is very powerful and really multi-platform is AnuGA
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/anuga/
>
> AnuGA can be used for modelling: coastal, fluvial, surface water and
> urban drainage system.
>
> We have developed a plugin for QGIS so that you can prepare your model
> GIS files (boundary files, mesh, etc). It is a bit out of date and
> requires lots of tweaking.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/anuga-gai/
>
> Will be good find a fund from those who are interested and develop this
> further. We have several ideas to improve the plugin further (mesh
> editor, result viewer, etc) but extremely busy atm.
>
> Cheers
> Saber

What would be really nice to have would be an open source alternative to
software like SMS:

    http://www.aquaveo.com/sms

That is, a framework that is not specific to a single modle, but could be
used to prepare input for multiple different models and visualize their
output. A good mesh editing plugin would be an ideal start, something that
could handle:

    - Structured meshes
    - Unstructured meshes
    - Quadtree meshes