[Qgis-developer] QGIS vs gvSIG

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jun 23 03:46:26 EDT 2011

Hi all.
I attended the "gvSIG day", embedded in http://www.opensourcegis.org.uk/
to compare their results with ours. Overall, I'm quite happy with the
results of the comparison, and I still prefer QGIS after that ;) .
They have done a few interesting things:
- WCS support (we need this one, should be very easy using GDAL)
- SOS support (sensors)
- gazetteer support
- they can export the data of the raster histogram (should be very easy)
- they have built in color tables for rasters, and can import/export
GIMP color tables
- raster filters can be applied OTF, or saved to a new raster
- they use potrace for raster to vect operations (it could be an
interesting option to explore)
- I found their 3D part rather confusing, but it has some interesting
features, including animation.
I didn't like their development model: AFAICT, there is a commercial
association of all gvsig devs; this has a strong potential for a
monopoly. I could not see anywhere, in OSGeo material, a difference
between graduated projects (like us) and incubating ones (like gvsig). I
was not happy with that - there is a difference after all.
All the best.