[Qgis-developer] Shapefile: prj vs qpj (CRS info)

benoit-3 at bc-consult.com benoit-3 at bc-consult.com
Tue Mar 1 06:43:41 EST 2011

 Hi Paolo,

 Please see attached zip file (small 2KB file)

 It contains:
 - A point shapefile with its CRS set to WGS84 UTM30N (prj file only)
 and a single point (located over the town of Kumasi in Ghana)
 - A QGIS project in Google Mercator CRS.

 When you load the shapefile into the project and then use the google
 plugin to display the satellite image around the point you could note
 that the satellite image is not what you expect (if you know the area).
 Also, double click the shapefile layer and go to the General tab. The
 CRS is set to Google Mercator, not UTM30N.

 Quit QGIS, rename the prj to qpj and do the above process again, and
 all is correct now.

 I hope you can reproduce this behaviour.

 Regards,
 Benoit