[Qgis-developer] Branch status for merge and release timeline proposal

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Mar 1 15:44:05 EST 2011

Hi Mayeul

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Mayeul Kauffmann
<mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
> What about open tickets (bug fixes) that are not in branches? What is
> the timeline for them?

We usually try to make sure there are no show stoppers when we release
and remaining tickets get carried over to next release. I dont think
we will ever be able to be in a situation where there are no open
tickets left at the time of a release.

> Now that New Symbology  is the default, I guess
> the following should be fixed before release, or am I missing something?
>
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Switching_from_Old_to_New_Symbology_and_Labeling

This is a great list / wiki page. The wait / when to release
discussion is one that comes up periodically. I agree the items in
your list should get attention - and no doubt more items will be
raised when people are using symobology-ng by default. However these
are not things I believe we should put a hold on the release for. If
there is a general unhappiness about the situation, we can reinstate
old symbology by default, but if not, lets put what we have out there
for people to test and use, and march on towards 2.0.

Regards

Tim

> Thanks for clarification!
> Mayeul
>
> Le mardi 01 mars 2011 à 09:19 +0200, Tim Sutton a écrit :
>> Hi all especially Martin and Pirmin and those actively working on new features
>>
>> I am just wondering how things are looking in terms of merging
>> branches. Is a merge of threaded rendering + 3d globe on the cards for
>> 1.7 assuming we have a code freeze of around March 15? I'd like to get
>> 1.7 out before the hackfest (oops QGIS Meeting) so was thinking along
>> the lines of :
>>
>> - code freeze 15 march
>> - string freeze 21 march
>> - release branching 1 April (yes I know its a cool date to release the
>> code on :-)
>> - release announcements 7 April (or when packages are available
>>
>> Are there any other major features people are working on that should
>> be considered for the release timeline? If the threading + globe
>> branches arent ready we can hold them over till 1.8, though it would
>> be nice to get them out there now to keep all the slathering fans
>> happy!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services