[Qgis-developer] GPLv2+ files and GPLv3+ files

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Thu Mar 3 10:52:12 EST 2011

Hi devs

Following up on ticket 3432 (License conflict with GPLv3+ libs), I had a
discussion with Volker about it . The conclusion was that there is no conflict,
but the only way to distribute QGIS currently is under the terms of the GPLv3.
This is because most of the source files are under GPLv2+ (version2 or any
later version). However, PAL and the sqlanywhere plugin/provider sources are
GPLv3+.

In my opinion, GPLv3 shouldn't be a problem for the project. From the GNU
page, the major changes seem to be a clause that forbids discriminatory patent
deals and one that does not allow sueing DRM hackers.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland