[Qgis-developer] new plugin repo online

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:14:31 EST 2011

2011/3/5 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>

> Il giorno sab, 05/03/2011 alle 10.17 +0100, Alessandro Pasotti ha
> scritto:
>
> > I cannot see dramatic advantages of an uploading function from within
> > QGIS. BTW this could be quite easily done with a RPC call (RPC4Django
> > handles this quite well).
>
> I agree this is not the main point. The main thing is to have to do only
> one operation to publish a plugin, not a series (preparing the zip,
> uploading it, adding a redmine project, adding a git project, etc.).
> Could you please add your thoughts to the roadmap, not to be forgotten?
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/PluginRepository Thanks.
> --
> http://www.faunalia.it/pc

Paolo,

It seems like your thoughts are quite different than mine.... IMHO it would
be sufficient to create a QGIS plugin that helps in the packaging and
uploading phase.

But it seems you want to go further and have a mechanism to automate the
initial creation of a plugin development infrastructure (git, redmine etc).
This is a much more complex task and implies some (to be carefully
evaluated) interaction with other components (like git or redmine) with all
security and system-level problems.

So, I will add a note on the wiki about the first phase but it's better if
you add a detailed description about what's in your mind about the second
phase. I remember a discussion in September about this, but I cannot
remember that we reached a decision about where to go.

I agree that having an easy way to setup all the stuff will stimulate people
to use it. But are we sure that every plugin author will be willing to use
all the machinery (git, redmine etc.)  ?

Can we use this time (before the hackfest) to talk about and reach a
decision about this further improvements of the plugins website ?

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it