[Qgis-developer] Branch status for merge and release timeline proposal

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Mon Mar 7 15:13:26 EST 2011

Hi Martin,

Marco was quicker, but here is my answer as well...

Am Montag, 7. März 2011, um 16.26:19 schrieb Martin Dobias:
> Hi Marco
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Marco Hugentobler
>
> <marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >> An alternative option is that we just freeze our 'stable' releases at
> >> 1.6 (or maybe a last 1.7 release with no threading) and jump right on
> >> to doing 1.9.x releases in the run up to September. However I would
> >> rather put the things we are developing into mainstream releases since
> >> (I know some people hate this idea) our users are also our testers.
> >
> > We already have a number of new features for 1.7 (hopefully including the
> > raster provider branch). So for me it would be ok to have 1.7 as the last
> > API compatible release and doing the threading branch merge just after
> > the branching for 1.7.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Anyway, it would be good to merge the changes from trunk into the
> > threading branch already now. Like this, people who need e.g. the globe
> > plugin could work with the threading branch sources until 1.7 is
> > branched. Additionally, it is easier to test the threading branch in
> > productive work with all the fixes and new features from trunk.
>
> I thought I will do it the other way round: to create a new branch
> from trunk (e.g. threading_branch2) and merge the commits from
> threading_branch there. Looks easier to port those few dozens of
> commits rather than porting nearly 2000(!) commits from trunk back to
> the branch.
>
> Btw. what functionality from threading branch is required by the globe
> plugin?

The globe plugin reads the layer list and calls the QGIS to render tiles and
draping them on the globe. Since this is done in a separate window, a refresh
in the 2D map window crashes QGIS as long as parallel rendering is not
supported.
Using locks during rendering is more difficult than e.g. from the print composer
because there are many more calls and the globe engine is running multiple
threads itself.

Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions