[Qgis-developer] Qgis access control question

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 12:15:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM, David Silva Barrera <dsilva at uci.cu> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is there any development projection including functionalities for access
> control in Quantum? I mean, for example, role based access control or
> something.
>

> I’m aware the actual code doesn’t take care of this aspect ‘cause of the
> actual objectives of Qgis application, but maybe someone have made steps on
> this direction and could share ideas.
>

> I want to personalize Qgis for an specific business and security will be a
> priority aspect around.

 Well, security is usually about access to data, and any application
should defer that to the operating system. So for example, if your
data is on shared drives, you'd control access via share permissions.
If your data is in a PostGIS database, you'd just use PostgreSQL user
access controls. Qgis doesn't enter into it.

 What sort of thing did you have in mind?

Barry