[Qgis-developer] Status of Release 1.7 and Raster-on-the-Fly

mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Thu Mar 17 12:11:54 EDT 2011

Here are some comments about the second part (which is more a user issue).
>"draw speeds of about 30 seconds"  "I was impressed that QGIS could handle such a large dataset. Any comments?"

You might gain speed gains doing some or part of the following:
- put your dataset in a database (suggested: postgis or spatialite)
- simplify your dataset for visualisation at small (overview) scale; try to draw non-simplified data only at detailed (large) scale
- if you insist on shapefiles, make sure you created the spatial index (there is one button in QGIS for this)
- probably it does not make sense to display all the data at all scale. Depending on semantic needs, optimisation is possible here. In addition, polygons with a very small area can easily be ignored at small scale (they would probably be displayed with a single pixel anyway): pre-compute the scale of each polygon, and create a scale based rule in rule based renderer. (or use a query at the layer level).
When you say "contour polygon" do you mean level curves (elevation data) [hence: might be linestring, not polygons]? Then at small scale you could show only main level curves (every 100 m).
Doing this I can browse the Openstreetmap dataset + level curves/contour for a European country (>1Gb of data) with a rendering time of less than 1 second.
If you have several layers, you may want to try and build the threading branch for even faster rendering (multicore).
Mayeul