[Qgis-developer] RE: Status of Release 1.7 and Raster-on-the-Fly

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Thu Mar 17 16:47:52 EDT 2011

> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:53:25 -0500
> From: "Bruce, Bob (CON)" <Bob.Bruce at gov.mb.ca>
> Subject: [Qgis-developer] Status of Release 1.7 and Raster-on-the-Fly
> To: "'qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org'"
> 	<qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>
<DC49060A7E430243BF2D409020066193167AC70CB2 at OC1EX201.ME.MBGOV.CA>

> I have been doing some testing with a polygon file of contours have
> 54614 polygons and it is 770 Mb in size and an getting draw speeds of
> about 30 seconds on my DELL T3500 system running Windows 7 with 4 Gb
of
> RAM. The contour polygons are at 5m intervals. (I have some screen
> captures of some of the draws if people want to email me directly for
> them) This seems like a pretty fast response time and I was impressed
> that QGIS could handle such a large dataset. Any comments?
>
>         Bob Bruce

Well, I'd say that QGIS has very poor performance with large/complex
vector datasets.  Have you ever compared it to other software?
But performance should improve significantly when the threading
branch is merged to trunk (after 1.7).

Alister