[Qgis-developer] SpatiaLite very slow with QGIS 1.7

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Mar 17 16:47:03 EDT 2011

I tried running QGIS in 32bit mode with no difference in times.  And my QGIS 1.6 (assuming you're using that) is 64bit also.

You could try it on your 1.7 build, if you compiled 32+64bit - Get Info on QGIS.app in the Finder, check Open in 32-bit mode.

On Mar 17, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Cline, Royce L. wrote:

> Is this possibly a 64 bit issue. I am assuming Sandro's mini is an original core duo and therefore his build is 32 bit. Probably his test of the Identify Tool and Selection tool was on 32 bit Windows. If so, this could be the differentiating factor.
>
> Royce
>

> On Mar 17, 2011, at 1:31 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>

>> Some tests here, OSX 10.6.6:
>>
>> QGIS 1.6 with Sqlite/Spatialite 3.6.23/2.4rc3 framework
>>
>> add 20 spatialite layers: 2s
>> quit: instant
>> reopen: 2s
>>
>> QGIS 1.6 with Sqlite/Spatialite 3.7.4/2.4rc4 framework
>>
>> add 20 same layers: 2s
>> quit: instant
>> reopen: 3s
>>
>> QGIS 1.7 r15455 with Sqlite/Spatialite 3.7.4/2.4rc4 framework
>>
>> add same 20 layers: 2s
>> quit: instant
>> reopen: 3s
>>
>> I'll try updating my SVN and rebuilding and see if there is a change.
>>
>> On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Alessandro Furieri wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Noli, hi Royce,
>>>
>>> I've just spent several hours attempting to build the
>>> current QGIS-Trunk SVN snapshot on my cheap and old
>>> second hand MacMini (incredibly slow hardware, really
>>> an extenuating time consuming process ...).
>>>
>>> Anyway, these are my personal findings:
>>>
>>> - Mac Os X 10.5 Intel
>>> - not using frameworks at all (only the Qt one)
>>> - using MacPorts libraries instead
>>> - and using INTERNAL SpatiaLite (2.4.0-RC4)
>>>
>>> + QGIS on Mac Os X runs exactly as it run on Windows
>>> + I was completely unable to observe any issue about
>>> the Identify tool
>>> + opening an 80+ layers DB takes an absolutely
>>> reasonable time
>>> + closing the same DB is a quite immediate process
>>>
>>> So, I'm completely unable to tell you why the 'standard'
>>> QGIS distribution for Mac Os X shows so many problems
>>> related to SpatiaLite 2.4.0-RC4 as you've reported.
>>>
>>> At this point I strongly suspect that something is
>>> broken or misconfigured in the most recent SpatiaLite
>>> Mac Os X framework, because simply avoiding to use
>>> this one and building so to use the INTERNAL spatialite
>>> instead fixes any issue.
>>>
>>> bye Sandro

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy