[Qgis-developer] GPL in the Tips (warning: license's bigotry inside)

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Sat Mar 26 16:01:37 EDT 2011

Hi Jean Roc,
I would suggest to change this tip to something widely accepted, for
instance:

----------------------
Quantum GIS 1.7 is released under the GNU General Public License
[version 3, am I correct?? or "version 3 or above"?].
The GNU General Public License is a free, copyleft license for software
and other kinds of works.
The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to
take away your freedom to share and change the works. By contrast, the
GNU General Public License is intended to guarantee your freedom to
share and change all versions of a program--to make sure it remains free
software for all its users.
The above sentences (after the first one) are the first three sentences
of the Preamble of the GNU GPL v3, here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is already translated in many languages here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/translations.html
so this should help have have it translated by QGIS translators.

For reference, I copy below the message on QGIS' license posted by Marco
3 weeks ago: