[Qgis-developer] update pull request

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Sat May 7 13:55:41 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Mayeul Kauffmann
> <mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Thanks all for your hints. Still,  I could not find a way to make those
> > changes on existing branch and on the pull request #3, so I forked again
> and
> > added a new pull request:
>
> Ok no need to refork, you can just do (in your local repo):
>
> git remote add qgis-upstream git://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS.git
> git fetch qgis-upstream
> git branch --track release-1_7_0 origin/release-1_7_0
> git checkout release-1_7_0
> git pull qgis-upstream release-1_7_0
> git push origin release-1_7_0
>
> That will pull any changes from qgis repo and push them up to your
> clone of it. Obviously you need to commit any fixes you made in
> response to the comments and push those too. Then just issue a new
> pull request and cancel the old one.
>
> I will write up some working practice docs in CODING soon I promise :-)
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

Although it is *strongly* recommended to create a separate branch for each
feature. For example, if you only use a release-1_7_0 branch:

    git branch --track release-1_7_0 origin/release-1_7_0

And work on two features, x and y you will have a problem when opening pull
requests from that branch:

    The pull request for feature x will contain all commits for feature y
and vice versa.

A better method would be:

    git checkout -b feature/x --track origin/release-1_7_0
    git checkout -b feature/y --track origin/realease-1_7_0

That sets up both branches so that `git pull` will bring in upstream
changes, yet changes made by `git commit` are segregated. Pull requests
opened from `feature/x` will only contain commits related to x.