[Qgis-developer] How to get a string's english translation with pyhton?

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:31:40 EDT 2011

Hello list

in order to identify pixel values I'm using QgsRasterLayer.identify()

This method returns a tuple, with first value being a boolean (by the
way, see ticket[1] on trac). The second value is a dictionary with
band names as keys and pixel value.

I want to check for the pixel value and, in case it is null or out of
extents, I want to assign a value to some variable. I am testing the
pixel value for the presence of "out of extent" and "null" strings.
This works OK when the user is using an english locale. When the
locale is different, these strings show up translated and my code
fails miserably.

How can I solve this problem? I'd like to be able to get the english
version of the string independently of the locale being used by the
user.
Thanks

[1] - https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/3807