[Qgis-developer] GIT open for pull requests on master

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon May 9 06:20:24 EDT 2011

Hi

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Mon, 09. May 2011 at 10:55:21 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Yes. On the other hand there are quite a few committers in the list
>> who are not very if at all active anymore. If they come back to the
>> project after a long period of activity it would be nice to make sure
>> they are up to speed with our plans and intentions before they
>> directly change code again.
>
> Right, but I thought that that was just about those committers.  Every recent
> committer should IMHO be reinstated.

Yup - basically as people who are already commiters express interest
and provide me with a github account, I will just add them ok?

> BTW I for one don't like that github pull request business yet.  I like to do -
> mostly small - adjustments (eg. indentation) to the patches I commit without
> making a big fuss about it .  And I don't (yet?) see how that is easier using
> pull requests...

In that case do:

Once off:
git remote add <remote name e.g. tim> <repo url>
git fetch
git branch --track tim-release-1_7_0 tim/release-1_7_0

Each time you get a pull request:

git checkout tim-release-1_7_0
git pull
<fix up whatever you dont like>
git commit -a -m "Fixed intentation or whatever"
git push qgis-upstream

By comparison to svn:

download patch
svn update
patch -p0 < foopatch
<fix up whatever you dont like>
svn commit

When you are tired of that branch chuck it away:
git branch -D  tim-release-1_7_0

We could automate that with a little batch script in script. Also you
can just clone directly qgis official repo since you are a committer
and not bother with maintaining your own clone on GH which will
simplify the process somewhat. If you look at the equivalent svn
process you can see that we can ultimately do the same work with only
one added command.

Regards

Tim

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer         D-26506 Norden               http://www.norbit.de
>
> --
> norBIT Gesellschaft fuer Unternehmensberatung und Informationssysteme mbH
> Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
> GF: Jelto Buurman, HR: Amtsgericht Emden, HRB 5502

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net