[Qgis-developer] succesfull windows build from INSTALL text

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri May 13 11:30:37 EDT 2011

Hi All,

playing with a clean windows xp virtual machine on my laptop, I thought
to test/try the windows build instructions from the INSTALL text...

My compliments for this documentation!!!!

Following the
    4.1.1. Visual C++ Express Edition
route within I think 2 hours I had a working basis qgis in my Virtual XP
running :-)

Some remarks:

- the INSTALL text seems more up to date than the instructions on
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Building_QGIS_from_Source
For example the INSTALL text already mentions the GIT stuff etc
Should we not delete the wiki page, and for example just point to the
INSTALL text?

- I never used GIT on windows, but googled msysgit
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
which gives you a command line and I could do:
git clone https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS.git
which worked...

- INSTALL states:
"You will also either need to add all the dependency DLLs to the QGIS
install directory or add their respective directories to your PATH."
I did, but those are 39 dll's :-)
I think the PATH command would be nice (though I'm aware of the risk of
conflicting dll's etc ...)

- packaging:
The packaging instructions are not clear to me. After compiling running
it on windows, how to package it on ubuntu (for a 'real' windows user).
What's the reason to not do it on windows itself?

- 32/64 bit
Just tested this on 32-bit XP. Which worked fine!! Not sure if this
would work on a 64 bit machine, or all links are then still working.

- starting: after the install step in Visual Studio Express, all
installed successfully in 'Program Files', but double clicking the
executable (the windows way), I do not have Python stuff working.
Using the cmake-start bat file (which set's all path's) I have a fully
working python/qgis.
Does somebody know what I have to copy/include/change to make the double
clicking work?

Ok, thanks for these great build docs! Maybe my remarks can make them
even better ;-)

Regards,

Richard