[Qgis-developer] succesfull windows build from INSTALL text

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri May 13 14:36:21 EDT 2011

Hi Richard,

On Fri, 13. May 2011 at 17:30:37 +0200, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> - the INSTALL text seems more up to date than the instructions on
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Building_QGIS_from_Source For example the INSTALL
> text already mentions the GIT stuff etc Should we not delete the wiki page,
> and for example just point to the INSTALL text?

ok, we update the wiki page now and then.

> - I never used GIT on windows, but googled msysgit
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/ which gives you a command line and I could
> do: git clone https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS.git which worked...

You could also have used cygwin - Windows is pretty useless without it anyway
;)

> - packaging:
> The packaging instructions are not clear to me. After compiling running it on
> windows, how to package it on ubuntu (for a 'real' windows user).  What's the
> reason to not do it on windows itself?

That is on Windows.  cygwin, remember? ;)

> - 32/64 bit
> Just tested this on 32-bit XP. Which worked fine!! Not sure if this would
> work on a 64 bit machine, or all links are then still working.

It does.

> - starting: after the install step in Visual Studio Express, all installed
> successfully in 'Program Files', but double clicking the executable (the
> windows way), I do not have Python stuff working.  Using the cmake-start bat
> file (which set's all path's) I have a fully working python/qgis.  Does
> somebody know what I have to copy/include/change to make the double clicking
> work?

Patch QGIS to include all the environment variables etc. the batch files set
up.  I'd stick with the batch file as that's easier to customize.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden