[Qgis-developer] gdal 1.8.0 / no tiff support anymore in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Sun May 15 08:18:08 EDT 2011

Hi,
libgdal1-dev for Natty provides gdal 1.8.0 which seems not compatible
with the code base or some package (does the code links to libtiff
3.X ?)
I'm trying to open a geotif from latest Quantum-GIS-3eb0d66
(release-1_7_0 downloaded today at  13h08m43s). It tells me:

"/path/file.tif is not a valid or recognized data source
WARNING ! libtiff version mismatch : You're linking against libtiff 3.X
but GDAL has been compiled against libtiff >= 4.0.0"

The guys from orfeo toolbox seems  to have the same issue since about
11th of May, when "gdal 1.8 debian package has been pushed to
ubuntugis-unstable repository for all ubuntu versions." The consequence
being "the otb packages cannot open a TIFF any more". See:
http://bugs.orfeo-toolbox.org/view.php?id=296

Installed is: libtiff4-dev (3.9.4-5ubuntu6)

The only non standard repositories that I use are those 3:
deb http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu natty main #Third party developers
repository
deb http://qgis.org/debian-nightly natty main
deb-src http://qgis.org/debian-nightly natty main

I installed qgis following the INSTALL guide, and my following home-made
script to automate downloading and compile:
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Talk:Building_QGIS_from_Source

Other related link (with posts from Andreas Neumann) which mentions the
problem of code linking to libtiff 3.x (not sure whether it is
relevant):
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/gdal-dev-mod-python-issue-with-libtiff-td5639239.html

Anybody Natty user managed to compile latest release-1_7_0 this weekend
after doing an apt-get update & upgrade and dist-upgrade?

Thanks,
Mayeul