[Qgis-developer] Re: Mac Snow Leopard - QGIS Symbology

Mars Sjoden aurorageomatics at gmail.com
Thu May 19 12:55:10 EDT 2011

Update.

I decided to partition my internal drive and build another Mac OS X Snow
Leopard for testing.
I wanted to rule out any software conflicts that may have been causing my
QGIS to crash on symbology changes

Re-installed Williams's great Framework dependancies and tested his builds
of QGIS with shapefile data from Natural Earth.

   - I noticed that if I TURNED OFF the selections for:
   - Make lines appear less jagged at the expense of some drawing
   performance
   - Fix problems with incorrectly filled polygons
   - Under PREFRENCES/ >OPTIONS window< / RENDERING tab / Rendering quality

The statistical occurrence of QGIS crashing while changing a layers
symbology drops ~50% to 1 in every 4 symbology changes.

The next question, (if I am the only Mac OS X user having these issues), is
if there is some sort of hardware issue?
I ran an the extensive Apple Hardware Test and came up clean..

I'll attach a Hardware Overview FYI.

*Hardware Overview:*
  Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac8,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    3.06 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    6 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:    IM81.00C1.B00
  SMC Version (system):    1.30f1

*NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS:*
  Chipset Model:    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Total):    512 MB