[Qgis-developer] Different Label engines in Qgis not speaking with each other?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed May 25 01:56:42 EDT 2011

Hi Devs,

(using trunk version on ubuntu natty, but seen in other versions too)

answering a question about scale dependent labels in qgis ()  on the
users-list, I was pointed to a toolbar icon I never used before... the
[ABC]/labeling button.

I had two layers, both (correctly) scale dependent labeling configured
in the (for me) normal way: via Layer/properties/labeling tab.

Using the [ABC] button after that, I do not see my own set of labeling
properties, and changing the labeling settings there  (setting label
colors) , nothing changed..

So Questions from a user standpoint:

- can somebody afirm this?

- what is the difference between the two labeling routes (I think to
remember that the [ABC] button was a more advanced labeling engine.. but
not sure)?

- are they aware of each other?

- should/can the be combined? If yes: this is a buggy, if no: should the
user not be warned about this?

- shouldn't we try to merge them, or remove one of the routes?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde